Thursday, May 17, 2007

Please pray for the children of Haiti


I read these statistics the other day and I cannot get them out of my mind. In the United States, we get lulled into thinking that everything is all right in the world and then I read something like this and just wondering how I can pay so much money for food and clothes, toys and movies when there are children in such trouble. I am praying that God will open my family's heart to an opportunity to help these children...somehow...someway.


If children are our future; what contribution to the global community can we expect of our children in Haiti. Representing 70% of the 8 million people on this impoverished Island, Haiti's children endure illiteracy, child slavery, and high mortality rates. The statistics are alarming:
• 10% of the child population in Haiti will die before the age of 4.• 7% (300,000) of the children in Haiti are enslaved. They are as young as 3 years old. They often suffer sexual, emotional, physical abuse and possibly death.• 45% of the Haitian population is illiterate.• 70% of the population lives below poverty level.• 30% of the Haitian population is either ill and or underweight

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't by accident that I came accross your blog today! Haiti has been in my heart for years as I traveled there as a missionary in 98. The smile and love of the people are so strong even through the desperate poverty.

Off to read the rest of your blog!

Anonymous said...

It truly is appauling! Statistics like this are exactly what hit me so hard and are what have led us to adopt from there. Have you watched the video from my blog? I can't wait to bring back lots more photos from this country.