Thursday, August 12, 2010

New School year

Our new school year will begin this coming Monday Aug 16th. I am so excited! Every summer, I toss back and forth about maybe doing some summer school, but we never do and by the time August rolls around I am so ready for it to begin. So Abby will be in 7th grade, Nathan in 5th and Esther Hope in 3rd. Here is a look at some of the things we will be doing this year:


Math U See ~ We love this program and I even looked at a few other curriculum's and all three kids were in agreement that we stay with MUS.

Apologia Science ~ We are all going to do the new Anatomy book together. Abby will have a little more research to do, but I am looking forward to studying the Human Body together.

Story of the World ~ We have done SOTW before but this year I bought the activity book as well. I am already planning some really cool map activities and art projects to do.

Bible ~ We will be working through a book on the Names of God this fall, I have an advent book for Christmas and I am still praying about what to do in January

Total Language Plus ~ This is new for us this year! We have been using Abeka, but were ready for something different. TLP is a concept where your Spelling, Vocabulary, Writing and Language and Reading are all based of a fiction book. Abby will be reading and working on Anne of Green Gables and Nathan will be doing The sign of the Beaver. It is designed to work through three or four books a year, but I only bought one to make sure we like this concept. If it goes as planned, I will be placing a order again soon! :)

Esther~ She isn't ready for TLP just yet, so we will continue on with Explode the Code and Abeka spelling and phonics thrown in and hopefully get her reading improved by Christmas break. We are also going to work through FIAR ( five in a row) Volume 4 together.

We also have Nature Journals and read alouds. We are taking a bit of a break to do an in depth study on Ben Franklin probably the month of December..this will be new and with the stress of Christmas might be fun! I also have started a Family Fun Night at least once a month. I have all kinds of cool themes planned! Like oceans, winter, Hawaii, baseball, football...I will try to keep them all updated here on the blog!

Here are our extra curricular for fall:

Abby:
ACE Clubs Co-op
FHE Volleyball
FHE basketball
Korners Folly puppeteer
Church youth group
Dixie Classic Fair entries
4H Club
A trip to ETHIOPIA!!!

Nathan:
ACE Clubs Co-op
YMCA Baseball
Club SODA ( at church)
Dixie Classic Fair entries
4H Club
Korners Folly puppeteer

Esther:
ACE Clubs Co-op
In HIS Company Dance
Club SODA ( at church)
Dixie Classic Fair entries
4H Club
Korner's Folly puppeteer

Praying the Lord will bless our year. It is going to be an exciting on with adding to additions fro Ethiopia to our family! I am so thankful to Homeschool!



0 comments: