Friday, September 7, 2007

A sweet savour

In my Tabernacle Bible study we have talked about the incense that the priests were instructed to keep burning continually and how that in Psalms 141:2 David writes" Let my prayers be set before thee as incense and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." Also Paul tells us to "pray without ceasing" which, I have always thought to be a very difficult thing to do.
I love the word picture it gives us though, thinking of my prayers as incense makes me think of this smoke going up from my lips to the throne of God. It is easier to pray when HE seems real, isn't it? The offerings and incense offered in the Tabernacle was a sweet savour unto the Lord. Are my prayers just as sweet? I wonder sometimes when I become a "Control Freak" in my prayers and try to tell God exactly the best way a situation would work out, is this smell not quite so sweet? Hebrews tells us to come boldy before the throne and I know because of our great high priest (Jesus) we are able to, but I want, like David, for my prayer and my life to be sweet unto Him....is it?
I have been struggling with this question until I found this great little verse in 1 Corinthians 2:15 " For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved and in them that are perishing." I love that! We are a sweet savour to God and He gave us the Holy Spirit to let us know if our heart is not pure, but guess what? Even then, because of Christ, we are still sweet to HIM! And that, my friends is called GRACE!

0 comments: