Tuesday, July 28, 2009

11 years ago this week...

11 years ago this week we began our life in full time ministry. Looking back, I know that God had us hemmed in on all sides with His protection. I was about 4 months pregnant and Greg was graduating from Piedmont and we had no idea where we were suppose to be heading.


Practicality told us that it would be a wise move to get a job as an associate or youth minister and gain some experience before Greg became a senior pastor. We had interviews in Richmond, Dublin and Pembroke,Virginia but never felt a peace or leading to these positions.

The churches were still in the hiring process when Greg was at graduation practice and the president of Piedmont, Dr. Howard Wilburn mentioned to Greg he would like for him to hang around after practice, he needed to talk to him about a church in WV in need of a pastor.

After talking to Dr. Wilburn about the church and sending a resume. We called the other churches, told them no thank you and waited to see if Daniels Missionary Baptist would hire a 23 year old kid.

Going up to visit felt like home and we clicked so much with this congregation that they voted 100% to call us. God knew Greg needed that confidence as he approached the task of shepherding a flock of about 100.

I feel like there, with that sweet family, is where I did most of my growing into the person I am today. We had three children while we were there and we were graciously given the opportunity to build a house. I discovered I loved longaberger baskets and antiques while living in those mountains and I learned how to make a pie crust and homemade salsa and to appreciate simple things.

As Greg preached to and loved on the members, the church itself grew to almost triple what it was when we came and I was so thankful to see God bring many more friends into the family.

Leaving Daniels was truly one of the hardest things I have ever done and I have spent many a homesick days pining after that simpler time of raising babies and trusting the Lord to supply our needs....and He did, every time.

There isn't another life I would ever want to lead than that of a preacher's family.I love my life. I love where He has placed us now. We are blessed beyond blessed to answer this call and Daniels is one of the many reasons why.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice stroll down memory lane. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago. Look at how far you have come! Great story. ~Amy